hidden hit counter

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

"San-Tonyo"

I was in San Antonio, Texas on Wednesday and Thursday. Great city, nice weather, and great food. Food: I loved the "Tex-Mex" stuff. Tex-Mex, as you can guess, is a mix of Texan and Mexican cuisines. Pretty darned interesting, as a texan would say! Weather-wise, the people over there described a 85-degree weather as "mild" spring weather! Huh, it felt good to feel some warmth in the wind - a thing that I long forgot after leaving India :-) I did not get a chance to visit anything although I wanted to visit The Alamo and downtown. I could just get a glimpse of these places from my car and I cared enough to click some pictures. I will post the pictures here in a couple of days.

I was there in San-tonyo (I found locals pronouncing the city's name this way) to visit the Texas Transportation Institute (TTI). They are a research organization affiliated to Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the Texas A&M University. The purpose of my visit is an interview for a Programmer/Analyst position. This was the final interview after a couple of telephone interviews. They flew me down there, paid for my air tickets, rental car, hotel, and food. Not bad, ha! The interview was rigourus, very rigorous. Also, during the day, I presented my thesis. This was sort of a full dress rehearsal for my thesis defense, scheduled for next Friday (29th April 2005). It was a great opportunity to dicuss a number of things, solve interesting problems, and talk to great people working for TTI.

Overall, I had a great feeling that the interview went well. I could say it from the way they were suggesting me to start looking for apartment there, they way they were showing me "my" office space, etc. This afternoon, I got a call from them informing me that I got selected for the job. This is surely a great news considering that I will be done with my master's in a week's time! I will get the official offer letter in mail next week.

I have another exciting offer from "another" place. I will write more about it toward the weekend. I will then have to decide whether to take this job or not, even though at this point I am definitely inclined to take the job with TTI - a texas state government job, with good benefits, and an OK pay. What say you ?

Until the next blog,
Au Revoir!

---------------------------------------

Tiger Countdown: A Week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home