hidden hit counter

Monday, September 26, 2005

Hablo Ingles!!

If there is one thing that is very prominent in the South Texas (other than Cowboys and Armadillos of course!), it has got to be the Spanish language. I nick named this part of the country as "Spanish Country Texas"! It does not matter which part of the state - urban or country - you are in, there is no easy escape from Espanol! Everything from billboards to the announcements in Supermarkets are often said exclusively en espanol .



Because of the Spanish influence, the spellings of places have often stumped me. Like this one time, I got a phone call from a person from a place that was pronounced "Far". Turned out they spell it Pharr. The name of the county in which San Antonio is ? Bexar. It is pronounced "Bear"! Oh well, I can go on with many other examples.

Often times, people considered me as a Hispanic! Huh, it is a strange experience to hear somebody yap in Spanish straight to you asking for help/directions/whatever! I kind of gathered a few words during my internship in California. That sure helps in warding off the Spanish speakers by saying "hablo ingles" (I speak English).

Last week, I went with a colleague of mine to a car dealership to help him pick a car. The salesman (of course a Spanish speaker) was prompt to ask me - "which country are you from? You e-speak gudd ingles !" . Yup. Yes, Sir! I kind of do. It took a while to explain him that we speak "Ingles" in India! That sort of gave idea for my next blog: English in India...Stay tuned! I got some fun stuff for you ...be sure to check it when it get online!

Until the next blog...
Au Revoir!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home