hidden hit counter

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

IVR Cheat Sheet

Most of us often put up with those insanely long and annoying electronic messages while calling for Customer Service. Sometimes the interactive voice response goes nuts, especially with people like me that have an accent. I yelled "Help" 10 times once while calling my Bank, and it kept going "OK. Here it is. Your account balance is..".

It is a HUGE hassle to reach a living-breathing human on these systems. Pressing the good ol' "0" doesn't work anymore on most systems these days. The wait you have to put up could be anything between tens of minutes, to hours. (The longest I was asked by the "automated voice" is close to four hours... Yeah, FOUR hours..I was calling my utility company, CPS, in San Antonio)

One good soul named Paul English now created a "cheat sheet" and put it up on his website. This cheat sheet lets you press a sequence of keys to get through a real person. Since this offers real help, I wanted to write about it a month ago, but it got off my head. Brian Williams showed it on the NBC Nightly News yesterday and I thought I should definitely let those folks know that are not aware of this convenience.

The cheat sheet contains a list of organizations (like Banks, Utility Companies, etc) and sequence of key presses. Here's the link: http://paulenglish.com/ivr/


I think you can email him if you want to contribute. Print it out and go past those annoying electronic messages.


Until the next Blog,
Au Revoir!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home