hidden hit counter

Monday, October 02, 2006

Русский Базар

This past weekend, I attended the annual Russian Bazaar (Russian Market) here in D.C. Man, O'man! It was an awesome experience! There was great food, music, dance, books, and arts. The food was just crazy-delicious! I ate some good old Pilmeni, Kartoshki (potatoes), and Ruski Salad. Let me tell you, it was one of the best meals I ever ate! Plus, there was live performance of old-style Russian music. It just can't get better than that!

And of course, there were many Matrioshkas on sale. Plus, there were a lot of artsy stuff on display - like the decorated Easter eggs, hand-made aprons (check out the pictures), etc. Books - there was everything from Pushkin to C++, to Starwars! I got a story book by Pushkin - and by guessing my level of Russian vocabulary now, it should be a good challenge for me to get through the book.









The event took place in a Russian Orthodox Church in DC. I have never been to an Orthodox Church before and I was pleasantly surprised by the great interiors of the Church! The priest flashed a longhorn sign at me soon as he saw me :-) I was wearing a longhorns sweatshirt!. He then started explaining us the iconography on the walls and the roof, and he even took us to the behind the walls and gave us a grand tour!

Overall, a Saturday very, very well spent!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home