hidden hit counter

Monday, March 26, 2007

To Catch a Foul Ball...

It is Spring time and it means one thing for sure in America! Baseball - America's favorite pastime - is back! The spring training games of the Major Leaguers are well underway in Florida and Arizona, and the college baseball teams have already started playing their regular season games.

It is typically American to spend a nice summer day watching baseball, catching foul balls or homers, and enjoying the seventh innings stretch. I have been to a bunch of baseball games - college, minor and major leagues. I had always wanted to catch a foul ball, just for the pure thrill of it. But I never grabbed any! And all that changed a couple of evenings ago!

During the past week, there was a UMD baseball Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) game. I was walking back from the gym with a friend, and we heard loud cheers from the field. We went to check it out and see if we can go see the game for an inning or two, IF we didn't need tickets. It turned out we needed tickets. No big deal, we thought, and were walking back to the car.

Just then, a foul ball came flying in the air. I chased it down and grabbed it! The very next pitch was fouled, and it too came flying outside the field too. I saw a bunch of kids with their gloves coming out to get the ball. I left the second ball for them. [Yes, I know! I'm very kind! : - ) ]

I'm really excited to catch a foul ball FINALLY - even though this is a college game! 'tis thrilling to enjoy yet another "typical American" experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home