hidden hit counter

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

To PhD or Not to PhD! That's the BIG question!

"To do a PhD or not? Now or later? Why now? Why not later?"

Well, that pretty much sums up my thoughts over the past few weeks. In other words, I'm entangled in a maze of thoughts about whether or not to do a PhD. My boss has always been encouraging me to go for a PhD degree since I joined Maryland back in 2005. I chose not to do it, until now. Over a recent conversation with my boss, he brought this up and encouraged me to start the PhD program as soon as possible.

During my two year graduate program and my current work at Maryland, I have grown to appreciate the academic way of work, research, and life. And by the way, I have completed 3 years service in my current position at the Maryland and I feel quite happy about it. : ) The projects that I'm working on are major successes and are internationally recognized! I'm waaaay content, and happy, and honored to have been working here.

Now back to my PhD... I am more or less convinced that working in academia is the way to go ahead for me. And as everybody knows, unless one has a PhD, growing professionally in the academic arena is real tough. This is one of those rare fields where having "just" a Master's degree won't cut it. So, I will be doing a PhD for sure...the question of the hour is - now or later? Now is always better, but keeping in mind my other priorities in life, I'm thinking on postponing it for a couple of years.

PhD requires a lot of commitment in terms of time, energy, and intellect. Quite frankly, I feel I'm ready for it! And it seems my friends are more confident about my abilities to succeed in a PhD program than I am : )

Overall, I'm leaning more toward going for a PhD, starting this January. I'm reviewing some literature to pick up a topic, or at least choose a direction for my research and dissertation topic....and perhaps even for my career. I'm gonna make my decision soon, and I will post that here soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good to know that you would probably go for PHD in the next year. I remember how you used to tell me about PHD in the diploma days.

Even I have been thinking about moving to academics and research. The thought has been on my mind for last 6 months or so and I am passively researching and nurturing it.

My considerations are similar to yours about the commitment and time it takes to pursue this path. I guess I will eventually do a PHD and move to acads since learning and sharing has always bought me such joy.

Keep us updated when you get to submit your application.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008  
Blogger Shriram said...

Chandoo, sure! I will be sure to post my decision as soon as I make it :)

Saturday, November 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home